Founded c.1030 by Norse King, Sitriuc Silkbeard, Christ Church Cathedral is one of the oldest buildings in Dublin and has been at the heart of Dublin history and culture for almost 1000 years.
Christ Church is the ideal place to learn about the Vikings, the Normans and medieval life. It’s also a wonderful way to discover church art and architecture and about religious life in Ireland through the centuries.
- See the foundations of the original Viking Church built on a hill above Wood Quay.
- Come and visit Strongbow’s tomb and hear about how he helped to build the Cathedral.
- Be amazed by the ‘Leaning Wall of Dublin’ and hear the story of how the Cathedral roof fell in.
- See the famous mummified ‘Cat and Rat’.
- Spot all the different animals in our beautiful floor tiles and see a medieval bird’s claw-print.
- Visit our atmospheric crypt – the largest in Ireland – which is full of amazing stories. Don’t get stuck in the stocks while you’re down there…
Primary Schools can book in for SELF-GUIDED TOURS, GUIDED TOURS or can choose to do our new INTERACTIVE CATHEDRAL TRAIL (most suitable for 7-12 year olds) which the children will receive on arrival (complete with pencil and measuring tape). It can be conducted in small groups (we suggest up to ten in each, guided by a teacher) and encourages pupils to find objects and discover the answers to questions about the history of the cathedral as they explore. It includes lots of great information about the building and its uses over the centuries and is a fun and interactive way for children to learn about us. The trail is introduced by one of our guides who will be on hand throughout your visit to answer any questions. The trail takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
Christ Church is a great place for Secondary School students to learn more about the history of Dublin and how religious practices have changed and evolved during the centuries.
A tour of the cathedral will greatly enhance students’ understanding of Irish history and culture throughout the ages and will give them the opportunity to feel close to figures studied throughout their education, including Strongbow and St Laurence O’Toole, Patron Saint of Dublin.
Secondary school pupils also have the opportunity to climb up to our belfry, learn about our bells (the largest number in any church in Ireland) and have a go at bell-ringing for themselves – an experience unique to Christ Church Cathedral.
Secondary Schools can book in for SELF-GUIDED TOURS, GUIDED TOURS or TRAILS.
As well as general history tours, Christ Church is also an ideal place for active learning for secondary school pupils in a variety of other subjects:
- Our fun Craft Trail focuses on the craftspeople involved in the construction of the building and its decoration.
- Our innovative Belfry Maths and Science Trail brings elements from the mathematics and physics curricula alive in an exciting new way.
All school tours and trails must be booked ahead. Self-guided tours cost €1.50 per student, guided tours (including the belfry for over 12s) and trails are €2.50 per student. There is no charge for teachers.
Please contact the cathedral on 01 677 8099 or email Jessica Plunkett at Jessica@christchurch.ie for more information or to book your tour.