CATHEDRAL ASSISTANT / GUIDE
Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin
Christ Church Cathedral (founded c.1028) is the spiritual heart of the city, and one of the top visitor attractions in Dublin. The Cathedral is also popular as a venue for concerts, graduation ceremonies and other events.
This post is an eight-month fixed term contract. This is a seasonal post from early March to the end of October. The successful candidates will work under the direction of the Cathedral Manager. The rate of pay is €11.50 per hour for a minimum of 20 hours per week (however, during the high tourism season the hours may increase to 35). Applicants will be obliged to complete Garda Vetting before commencement. Applicants must be aged 18 or over and have fluent English.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensuring a warm welcome to worshippers, visitors, contractors and group leaders.
- Conducting guided tours of the Cathedral, basing the tour closely on the detailed script provided.
- Work at the Welcome Desk including till operations, cash handling, till counts and assisting groups to enter and exit the building.
- Work at the Gift Shop including till operations, cash handling, till counts, stocking shelves and other retail activities as directed by retail and senior staff.
- Other duties as directed by Management.
It will be necessary to carry out some of the above duties in the cathedral grounds
Rotas are based around a seven day week
The successful candidate:
- Outgoing, friendly, a strong team player;
- A fluent English speaker;
- A self-starter;
- Strong ethic of exceptional customer service;
- Capable of working in a fast paced environment;
- Overseas language skills, French in particular is desirable;
- Good knowledge of Irish and European history an advantage;
- Experience in a public-facing role;
- Guiding or public presentation experience;
- Good level of physical fitness; this is a physically demanding role which requires standing for long periods and climbing 86 stone steps up a medieval staircase and crossing the cathedral at roof level.
- Applicants must be available for interview at the cathedral in Dublin on Tuesday 4 February 2020
- Applicants must be available to begin training and work during week commencing 02 March 2020
Only applicants who submit both a Curriculum Vitae and a completed application form will be considered for this role.
Due to the anticipated high level of interest in the position, we will only contact successful candidates who meet the requirements of the position.
Application closing date Friday 24 January 2020 at 12pm
Applications should be sent to:
Christ Church Cathedral,
Or by email:
Please send a CV, cover letter and application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.