Cathedral of Sanctuary
Christ Church Cathedral Dublin was honoured to receive Ireland’s first ‘Cathedral of Sanctuary’ on February 16, 2018.
Our journey towards the ‘Cathedral of Sanctuary’ designation began a year earlier following our concerns about Ireland’s system of direct provision and the treatment of those seeking asylum here.
Prayer, reflection and a variety of conversations steered us in the direction of City of Sanctuary Dublin, where we were able to connect with others in our city who were trying to build a network of hospitality and welcome.
A certificate of the designation was presented by Andy Pollak, representing City of Sanctuary Dublin, to the Dean, the Very Revd Dermot Dunne on February 16, 2018. The presentation took place at the gala launch of a pop-up cafe by Our Table, an organisation that highlights the need for change in Ireland’s Direct Provision system for asylum seekers.
Some of the cathedral’s programmes and initiatives:
- ‘Homing Pigeons: Birds with Wishes’ exhibition for World Refugee Week (June 2021)
- Imagine: A Virtual Art Exhibition for World Refugee Week (June 2020)
- ‘What’s the Story? Lives in Direct Provision’ Speaker Series
- Refugee Week and Sanctuary Sunday Observances
- Support for Dublin 8 Refugee Community Sponsorship
As a Cathedral of Sanctuary we are part of the Places of Sanctuary network, you can learn more by following the links below:
Is your church interested in becoming a Church of Sanctuary? We are happy to help you get started in your journey!
- Download the Statement of Commitment help get the conversation started.
Contact our Dean’s Vicar on ei.hcruhctsirhc@liagiba for help with next steps.